Sunday 3 May 2009

Italians being tossers

So, we went for lunch today at a nice little cafe. We asked how much for a slice of pizza - €1.50 we were told. We asked for two, got asked what we wanted to drink, and asked for a lemon soda (foolishly forgetting to ask the price). We ate our pizza, even ordered a third slice, then looked for some dessert. We were told it would be €2.50, after we had just seen an Italian paying €15/kg, about €0.75 each. We said no, asked why there was such a price difference, but were given no answer. A little irritated, I asked for the bill with my best angry Italian voice and language skills. We were given a bill for €9.00, with the €1 change, and told jokingly, thank you for the tip. My maths tells me this was charging us €4.50 for one can of lemon soda - normally around €1.50-€2, although without an itemised bill, which is something only granted to Italians, it was hard to check. When eventually I got an answer it was that it was €3 for the lemon soda, and that 3 slices of pizza adds up to €6. I asked the price of pizza and was told €2 - which I questioned, to be told that €1.50 was the take away price (then why tell us that price when we were clearly sitting at a table). After much arguing with the manager, cashier, and other random Italian, we were told €7 - a still ridicolous price (€2.50 for one can of drink) but at this point I'd got out €7.50 in change, accepting that we should have checked the price of a drink, and just glad we had shared one rather than having one each. The moral of the story is two fold - one, check the price of a drink before you buy it, two, don't let Italian waiters push you around and play take advantage of the tourist. I think next time something like this happens I'll just leave without paying at all (a kind of Karmic justice to make up for the tourists they manage to rip off - perhaps donate the correct cost of the meal to a charity to buy spray paint and paint his prices on the front window of his cafe!).
I think if you compare this post to one scott posted last year in the czech republic it will be very similar!! I would like to point out that we are having a very nice time and angry rants like this are a rarity!! We've been to Ischia for 2 days, went to 2 different thermal spas which were amazing. And if anyone tells me that theyre radioactive again Im going to be worried because after we'd been i read ischia has radioactive springs!! After me spending two days telling Dani to be careful, and her taking some or not all of my advice, she's been worrying about the bits of my advice she ignored, causing her to ask regularly, "Scott, is the baby OK", "Scott, do you think the baby has 3 legs". i did take his advice! Got to go no more money! Lots of love xxx

Song of the moment: take on me - reel big fish

1 comment:

  1. hmm well at least s/he'll show up well on the scan : )

    ReplyDelete